Connecting inquisitive students with experienced mentors
Find your research experience
» Take your curiosity to the next level
VCU has teamed up with Student Opportunity Center (SOC) to provide a central place to find experiential learning activities like undergraduate research.
Sign up with SOC today to explore — and apply for! — mentored research opportunities on the VCU and VCU Health campuses and beyond.
You will find three types of research opportunities while navigating with SOC:
- VCU Research Experiences: These opportunities will take the form of a research internship or credit-bearing experience and they are available to all VCU students. All positions of this type will begin with “VCU Research Experience”.
- Work Study Research Assistantships: These opportunities are reserved for students who have a work study award as part of their Financial Aid package. All work study research assistantships will begin with “FWS-Research Assistant”.
- National Research Opportunities: These opportunities are offered by other institutions all over the country and are typically funded opportunities as part of a research training program.
Simply log in with your VCU eID and password, verify your account, and search for “VCU Research Experience” to find and apply for available opportunities.
Help using SOC
Submit your research opportunity
» Recruit students for your mentored research experience
VCU has teamed up with Student Opportunity Center (SOC) to provide a central place to recruit students for experiential learning activities like undergraduate research.
SOC allows you to more effectively share your research opportunity with aspiring undergraduate researchers while streamlining the recruitment and application review process on your behalf. It also helps us identify the contributions you are making to experiential learning at VCU as a mentor, and allows us to link you and your students with on-campus safety and responsible conduct training and campus funding opportunities.
- Automated process will email you application materials that detail students’ interest in your research.
- Easily select your preferred students and connect with them for an interview.
- Engage your selected student(s) in a research internship or credit-bearing experience.
Want to add additional questions to your custom application? Contact us directly at email@example.com.