Pauley Heart Center 2021 Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship
The VCU Health Pauley Heart Center (PHC) invites undergraduate students to apply for a 10-week mentored research fellowship, in which students will be paired with a Sponsor (faculty mentor) and take part in a cardiovascular research project. The purpose of this fellowship is to provide undergraduate students with an introduction and insight to the conduct of translational multi-disciplinary cardiovascular research. By the end of this fellowship, students will develop cardiovascular disease research skills through experiential learning with the goal of applying this experience to future research opportunities and post-graduate careers in cardiovascular research. Students will prepare and present a poster summarizing their research findings at the end of the program.
Please note: Due to the uncertain circumstances presented by COVID-19, the current expectation is that this program will be executed virtually. If any onsite components become possible, accepted applicants will be notified accordingly.
This fellowship is open to full-time undergraduate students classified at junior- or senior- academic status at the time of application from a 4-year college or university. Racial and ethnic groups that are underrepresented in science are strongly encouraged to apply.
May 24 to July 30, 2021
Students will receive a stipend of $4,000.
Student application requirements
- Applications are now closed. See a list of summer 2021 projects »
The application will consist of two parts:
1. The following documents must be uploaded to the application portal:
Note that the application form will require you to upload the following documents:
- Personal statement (1-page max, single-spaced) addressing the following questions:
- Explain your interest in cardiovascular research and this program.
- How do your skills and experiences prepare you to be successful in completing the proposed research duties?
- Describe a challenge you have faced and how you overcame it.
- In what ways will this research fellowship help you in advancing your academic, career, and/or professional goals?
- Transcripts from all undergraduate institutions you have attended (unofficial copy)
2. Letters of recommendation
- Two letters of recommendation are required using the Recommender Writer Form. Recommenders must email their completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 p.m. on Feb. 14, 2021.
Sponsor-student interviews and joint application
If you are a good match for this program, a Sponsor will contact you in late February to set up an interview. Once a Sponsor decides on a top student candidate, the Sponsor-student pair will then submit a project proposal together to the Director of the Pauley Heart Center to compete for funds.
Five project proposals will be chosen to be funded. Sponsor-student pairs will be notified of award in mid/late March.
All application materials, including letters of recommendation, must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on Feb. 14, 2021. Any questions can be directed to email@example.com.