Inclusive teaching resources for faculty
Recent news, updates and resources
- VCU’s unequivocal support of our DACA students: Click here to read the full statement from President Rao. (September 2017)
- Click here to view additional DACA resources for the VCU community (updated Jan. 25 2018)
- Association of Public & Land-Grant Universities (APLU) Statement Strongly Condemning Hate Groups: Statement from APLU President Peter McPherson strongly condemning hate groups, including those that target public university campuses (August 2017)
- Managing controversial classroom topics (Fall 2017): This PDF offers resources for building and maintaining safe and inclusive learning environments, university-level contacts, group norms, and resources specific to the Charlottesville rallies on August 11-12, 2017. Questions? Contact Enoch Hale, Ph.D., Director of VCU CTLE: email@example.com (Fall 2017)
- Creating Inclusive Classrooms: This University of Michigan’s CRLT paper discusses the range of elements that contribute to an inclusive classroom learning environment.
- Framework and Strategies for Inclusive Teaching: This PDF provides specific strategies for fostering four dimensions of inclusive teaching.
- Facilitating Cross-cultural Group Work
- Teaching International Students
- Teaching Students with Disabilities: What Faculty Can Do
- Making Accommodations For Students with Disabilities: A Guide for Faculty and Graduate Student Instructors
- Student Teams in Engineering Classroom and Beyond: Setting up Students for Success
- Teaching for Retention in Science, Engineering, and Math Disciplines: A Guide for Faculty
- Academic Support for Women in Science and Engineering: Women continue to be underrepresented in a number of science and engineering disciplines. This paper describes factors that have been found to influence the learning and persistence of undergraduate women in science and engineering. Suggestions are offered for how faculty members can improve the academic environment to create a more positive learning climate for all students.
- Perceptions of Faculty Behavior by Students of Color: This paper reports the findings of a series of 15 focus groups with undergraduate students of color in which participants were asked to describe positive as well as uncomfortable interactions they had with majority group instructors. Suggestions for how faculty members can address students’ concerns are offered.
Key teaching strategies to engage students from a range of academic or social backgrounds
- What to Say After a Student Dies, The Chronicle of Higher Education
Difficult classroom conversations
- Difficult Dialogues, Vanderbilt University
- Handbook for Facilitating Difficult Classroom Conversations, City University of New York
- Ten Tips for Facilitating Classroom Discussions on Sensitive Topics, Twin Cities Public Television
Reflective strategies for faculty
- University of Michigan videos featuring U-M Thurnau Professors put various inclusive teaching strategies into action
General and other related resources
- Inclusive Conversations
- Diversity Makes You Brighter
- Inalienable Rights: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Belonging: Terrell Strayhorn
- Overview of the book The Department Chair as Transformative Diversity Leader: Building Inclusive Learning Environments in Higher Education by E. Chun, A. Evans and W. H. Gmelch. Full text available for purchase here.
- Teaching Tolerance
- Racism and Racial Equity in Higher Education