Annual assessment reporting
All programs leading to a degree or certificate are mandated to maintain an assessment plan in VCU’s online assessment management system, WEAVE. Access to the system is protected. Contact Scott Oates, Ph.D., director of academic integrity and assessment, to obtain user status.
What was learned about expected student learning outcomes?
Assessment findings for the previous academic year are reported annually, no later than the first Friday in October. For example, assessment findings for the 2015-16 academic year are reported no later than the first Friday in October, 2016.
What actions do these findings inform?
In addition to reporting findings about student learning, a summary report of the faculty members’ discussion about the assessment findings is also mandatory. This summary report, called “Closing the Loop,” comprises the following six questions:
- When and how did the faculty discuss the assessment findings? Who attended?
- What did the assessment findings indicate about the strengths of the program in terms of students’ learning? Speak specifically to the expected learning outcomes.
- What did the assessment findings indicate about the weaknesses or gaps of the program in terms of students’ learning? Speak specifically to the expected learning outcomes.
- Based on this year’s assessment findings, what action plans, if any, will be made in the upcoming year to improve and/or maintain student learning?
- What actions to improve student learning have been informed by assessment findings from previous years? What has been the impact of those actions? What is the evidence that the actions have or have not led to improved student learning? Be specific.
- Not all discoveries of program strengths and weaknesses come from formal assessment. What other observations have faculty members made about improving student learning and success? What are the plans to investigate or act on these discoveries/observations?