Academic Program Development and Approval Processes
The process for developing new degree proposals and certificate programs, modifying programs of study, and making organizational changes in academic units has been updated. These streamlined processes reinforce VCU’s commitment to academic integrity while maximizing efficiency for proposal development and approval.
The Office of Academic Affairs provides support and guidance for developing proposals and directing them through VCU’s review and approval processes. These processes include priority setting, formal vetting of the proposed change, full proposal development guidelines and interfacing with other internal stakeholders and programs.
Developing and submitting a proposal at VCU is typically a four-phase process:
- Pre-proposal development, review and approval
- Full proposal development
- Full proposal review and approval through VCU’s Board of Visitors
- Proposal submission to SCHEV and SACSCOC for notification or approval
Approval and development process charts, including operational definitions for the types of changes desired, are available for the following:
- New Degrees, Spin-Off Degrees, Certificates of Advanced Graduate Study Proposals [PDF]
- Certificate Program Proposals [PDF]
- Substantial Modified Program Proposal [PDF]
- Simple Modified Program Proposal [PDF]
- Complex Organizational Change [PDF]
- Simple Organizational Change [PDF]
For information or to start planning and preparing a proposal for a degree program or an organizational change, contact email@example.com.